Saturday, March 1, 2008

Valdosta - Day 2 - March 1, 2008

Qualifications began today - I tried to be very patient...waiting for a phone call, cleaning the inside of the Mazda, waiting...getting the car inspected, waiting...going to the grocery store (cell phone close at hand)...mowing the yard...waiting, doing laundry...waiting, changing sheets, dusting, vacuuming, waiting.... Finally, at about 11:15 a.m. the phone rang and it was my crew chief husband.

Jen had competed two qualifying runs on the Hayabusa. Both great runs.
  • ET class - qualifying time was 9.57 (I think...can't remember exactly) This one you have to estimate how fast you will run the 1/4 mile, place the number on a plaque on the side of the bike, then try to beat your competition to the end of the track without going faster than you said you could go...otherwise, even if you do win by getting there first, you still lose. Qualifying runs allow her to get a feel of the bike on this particular track (as all tracks are not the same), therefore more accurately estimate the time number for the plaque.
  • 9.5 index - qualifying time was 9.52 (perfect would be a 9.50) so this one should put her in a good position for the actual competition

There is another round of qualifying for these two classes, and two rounds of qualifying yet to do on the GSXR 1000. I'll update later...

*********************

Oh, I almost forgot; when I was getting the car inspected this lady - I mean woman - reamed me. I had been standing in line with my proof of insurance waiting patiently for the inspector person and chatting with the person in front of me - who just happened to be our family doctor - when a woman and her two com padres walked right past us and into the inspection booth. I said, "Excuse me - there is a line." The woman turned around and practically bit my head off, told me I was rude and didn't know what I was talking about. Granted, I admit I didn't know what I was talking about, however did know that there was a line and I was in it. I profusely apologized and said I was sorry for being so rude, and she told me I should be sorry. She then went on to sit inside the service station and drink coffee.

Soon the inspector man comes to me - because after all I was standing in line - and ask me which car was mine. I told him I apparently was not next after all, that the woman sitting inside drinking coffee was next because she'd told me so in no uncertain terms :0) Then I took him to the window and pointed my finger at her through the window. He went in, got her keys and inspected her car. When he came out from getting her keys he said, "She said thanks." Sheesh!

Oh, and then there was this neat little bouncy woman driving a giant truck. She had bleach blonde hair, was very tiny, little jeans tucked into her cute little boots, and a gold front tooth with a star design in it! Very chatty - she made me forget all about that wicked woman drinking coffee behind the window!

What a morning!

No comments: