Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Getting Old ~ Optimistically

When I get old, (ha! I have two grandboys who likely think I am ancient) I hope that I can have a good attitude about it. Of course I don't want to be a burden to my children - who does?

But, by a good attitude I mean:

  • be happy about how I have lived my life
  • have no regrets about major life choices
  • be willing to leave this life gracefully
  • be at peace with myself

All of this soul-searching comes about due to recent visits with my mother, and with my mother-in-law, both of whom currently reside in nursing homes...and therein lies the crux. Somewhere inside of myself I need to find the ability to forgive myself for allowing this to happen, and the strength to allow it to happen to me if/when I am lucky enough to live that long!

When I was a little child, I remember my father saying to me, "Catherine, you have got to work on that attitude!" He was quite serious, said it often, and meant it. Although he has not said it recently, I am forever grateful for his persistence.

Somewhere along the line it must have sunk in because I have been told by daughter Jen that I am eternally optimistic; my glass of water is always half full (at the minimum), and I will regularly look for the positive in a situation without realizing that I am doing so. (Husband may argue that statement!) :o)

It has not always been that way - it took years and well into my adult life (wait, am I really an adult?) to attain this attitude; it is something that I hope to pass along to my grandchildren (currently two boys, but someday am hoping for a grandgirl!) I credit this not only to Dad’s perseverance, but to husband Roger and both children Will & Jen...along with great co-workers, a fantastic working environment, a roof over my head, enough food to eat, money to pay my bills, a decent car to drive (wait a minute - that currently is a problem).

And oh yes, can’t leave out the constant uproar in my life!

No comments: