Sunday, September 9, 2007

~ The Secret ~

August 30, 2007 - I was on my way back to work from a meeting downtown. My cell phone rang (this is uncommon during the regular work day). I answered and someone told me a secret that I could not share with anyone but Roger.

I pressed the speed dial for Roger’s cell to tell him ‘the Secret’. I talked very fast, trying to get the details of ‘the Secret’ to him via cell phone…silence. Complete silence. I felt I was in one of those commercials - you know, the one where the wife calls the husband to share some very exciting baby news…then the phone goes dead and she thinks he is unhappy about the baby.

I said, “Hello? Are you still there? Are you speechless?” NOTHING.

I feared he had fainted, passed out in his office chair, fallen to the floor, broken his arm and wounded his head possibly needing 20 stitches on his brow. Quickly I redialed his number and found that my trusty Verizon “Can you hear me now?” phone had indeed disconnected mid-call.

September 1, 2007 - this is day 3. We are going to visit Jenn today and I must be very careful not to slip up and mention the Secret. I am not good at keeping secrets from my own daughter. She would be the first person I would share a secret with…however, this particular secret must remain just that – a secret – for awhile longer.

I must forget about the ‘Secret.’

September 6, 2007 – Wow, I am surprised at how easily it was to forget about the secret. Oh yes, it pops into my mind here and there…along with the agony that goes along with secret management and simply knowing how this particular secret is bound to change some lives. Two more days and ‘the Secret’ will be revealed.

Later…today I saw a picture of ‘the secret.’ It is quite large, bright yellow and black. NO – it’s not a big bumble bee!

September 8, 2007 – Soon, I will not have to keep this secret any longer!


Yesterday evening was racing in San Antonio. While there, Jenn gazed longingly at a bright yellow GSXR 1000 – it wasn’t a new bike, but it didn’t matter. She used to race one and loved it. She said, “I really liked that bike. I miss it.” Roger and I just looked at each other – we shared a secret. And we could not say a word.



Jenn views sunset at San Antonio Raceway Park while preparing for race

Jenn and her Dad prepare the Turbo Busa for the Dyno tuning


I don’t want to keep this secret any longer!

10:39 p.m. – The phone rang. I picked it up and Jenn declared, “You lied to me!”


“I know,” I said, and I laughed with her.

I could hear lots of ‘noise’ in the background, laughing, talking, eating, smiling (yes, sometimes smiles are noisy!)

So, here it is - the brand new, bright yellow ‘secret’ – a 2007 GSXR 1000, ready to set up for racing. Suzuki has generously donated this bike to Jenn. It is hers to - what else – RACE!


1 comment:

Just Jonna said...

WOW!!! I don't know which is more amazing - that Suzuki gave her the bike, or that the secret was kept!!!
I showed this to Dear Travis, and his eyes almost popped out! That is his dream bike!