Saturday, September 29, 2007

Fall...Where are you?

It is September. Fact is, September will be only a fleeting memory on Monday morning. Where is our autumn? Does autumn ever make it this far south?

In October of 1981, we two adults (well, that was debatable) and two little children, packed ourselves into a rented U-Haul and drove the 1,126 miles from our Indiana home to this Sparkling City by the Sea. A brave move for any family. It took 3 days to make the trip and when we arrived it was warm outside - I thought that was great. The first thing I wanted to do was dig through our belongs and find bathing suits for myself and my toddler daughter (a.k.a.
9secondjen) and head for the beach!

Soon, I heard rumors of a possible 'Blue Northern.' What is a Blue Northern? What were they talking about? People were so excited - cold weather was on its way! I waited and waited - and waited. Then one day the sky turned ominous shades of 'blue.' Dark bluish-gray clouds hung low over the horizon. The air changed and within 10 minutes the temperature outside had changed from a steamy 85 degrees to the coldest 60 degrees I'd ever felt in my life! My very first Blue Northern had arrived! Brrrr! Wimp? you say...yep, pretty much!

Fall would have to be the season I miss most from my old Indiana home. I miss the contrast of the beautiful, brightly colored leaves against the green rolling hills of the Indiana landscape, and the cool crisp feel of the air when you step outside. There have been many Corpus Christi fall seasons without even one Blue Northern...no autumn - how sad is that? However...there was the one (one and only one) Christmas Eve when it snowed on Corpus Christi - a Christmas gift from above that we will never forget! - the one gift bestowed upon Corpus that made all the missing fall seasons forgivable.

You know the old saying, "you can never go back home?" It is so true. Now, home is right here with our Texas-Branded children and our Texas-Born grandchildren...and our Texas Friends...and it is good.

1 comment:

Just Jonna said...

Well, it's definitely not in Southern Indiana, either. Yesterday (october 7) was 90 degrees. still. No break in the heat yet.