Saturday, May 17, 2008

Jalapeno Jelly Bellies!

On Saturday morning it is not ususual for us to jump into the car and travel the 1/4 mile down the road to the local Mexican Restaurant - Fermin's - for a taco.

My normal breakfast taco is bean, diced potato and freshly chopped jalapeno peppers - yum ;o) Add a glass of freshly brewed ice tea to the order and you have breakfast combo ala Cathy!

This particular morning Roger was complaining about his dry eyes and how he couldn't wait to get his breakfast so he could cover it with the all-natural dry eye & congestion cure of Fermin's pico de gallo and salsa.

This brought him to remember another great discovery - jalapeno Jelly Bellies. While on my mother's day adventures in the hill country last weekend, I stopped in at Camp Verde and filled a bag will all different varieties of Jelly Belly jelly beans. That's when I spied them - the jalapeno Jelly Bellies...I carefully added a small scoop of them to the bag of mixed flavors - peanut butter, cinnamon, fiery cinnamon, coconut, buttered popcorn, various fruit flavors...all mixed together with jalapeno! Then I promptly forgot about it.

Roger took his prize bag of Jelly Bellies to the office where he could share and munch on them at his leisure (and to ensure that I did not eat them all myself). Eventually he took one of the green beans and popped it into his mouth. What he expected was a sweet tart 'green' flavor of some sort. What he got was entirely something else! At first, not knowing what flavor this bean was, he found it simply chewy and un-sweet. A very short time later he discovered its true value. Another all-natural cure for dry eyes and congestion!

So, I did some Jelly Belly research and made a great discovery - "Caliente! That’s Spanish for HOT. This is one flavor not for the faint of heart. If you like your salsa hot enough to make you break out in a sweat, you’ll love this bean. [They] use real jalapeno pepper, no kidding." So, next time I go to Camp Verde I am getting an entire bag of jalapeno flavored Jelly Bellies...to keep around for medicinal purposes!

No comments: