Saturday, July 28, 2007

Deathly Hallows!

The big release day ~ Deathly Hallows had finally arrived! How on earth do two adults - and older adults at that - get so excited about the release of a 'children's' book?

Roger and I went to Wal-Mart first thing and picked up a copy (normally we purchase 2 copies so we don't 'argue' over who gets to read it first!) But this time we purchased only one because I had 'pre-ordered' special edition copies from Amazon.com to be delivered at my doorstep on July 21st! But would UPS really deliver my special copies on a Saturday?

It was really big of me to allow Roger to begin reading the 'Wal-Mart' copy of the book before I even had mine...in fact it was agonizing. I was trying to be adult about the entire situation as I quietly allowed him to sit in the den, alone, reading 'his' book.

Jenn arrived at out doorstep a short time later; if we didn't quickly get out of the house Roger's copy of the book was going to mysteriously disappear if he EVER took a reading break.

Upon our return from running errands, there they were perched upon the kitchen table...3 copies of the special edition of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows! - already opened, of course - he had to check them out. (Hummm...I suppose my faith in the UPS man has been restored, but that is still under debate.)

The outside of the box declared, "Muggles, do not deliver or open before July 21st." I had my book! I must say, it is a good thing all three copies arrived, because Jenn and Kathy swooped up their copies of the books without delay!

Now I could begin reading - I made it through a page and a half when the phone rang; another half page and someone at the door...8 hours later I was ready to settle down and begin reading again. All the while Roger had not budged from his comfy recliner, book in hand, eyes locked in place. Had he really not moved? Or was this my imagination? I could clearly see that he was at least half way through the book and I'd barely just begun. Could I catch up!? Not a chance and I knew it.

Being the gentleman that he is, Roger finished his book Sunday evening and did not breathe a word of any of it...this would have been grounds for divorce! Kathy soon finished hers - but she also maintained her silence. Jenn didn't get to start on her copy until Tuesday, so at least I was ahead of someone! Finally, three days later I came to the end of my book. It was over...I'd finished...and it was good :)

1 comment:

Just Jonna said...

I feel soooo left out while everyone is posting reviews of Book the Seventh, and I still haven't started Book the First! lol